Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Grey Circles Dress

So, while meandering aimlessly (okay that's not true, my aim was to buy something fun!) through Fabricland, I came upon the sale section, as per usual. I looooove a good deal. I came across this beautiful fabric, which was 75% off! That put it down to $2.75 a metre. It was lovely in every way - a great pattern, silky to the touch, quite unique.... but it was a stretch knit. I have not made clothes with a fabric like this before. If you'll notice, almost everything I've ever sewn is with a cotton of some sort.

Do I dare???


I dared. And it wasn't flawless. And it wasn't easy. But after using WAY more pins than I was used to, and winging and shaping it as I go, I came up with this dress.




I wanted scrunched up shoulders, and a flat straight across neckline.


The dress flows really nicely, and hides the curves I don't want seen while showing just at the part of my leg that will make me look taller.



I got kinda bored, and started being a goofball. :o)

The "Cousin It", The "Hair Stand", The "Pokahontas",


The "Treasure Troll", The "Vogue Look", and the "Help I'm Being Blown Away!!"


*giggle* I love strobe lighting. Fun Fun. ;o)

2 comments:

  1. thats a cool dress that you have there. can you share on how you make that shoulder stitches? im interested on how to make a stitch like that properly. thanks

    Drei|grey scrubs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drei!

    Thanks for the compliment! I used elastic for the shoulders. On the underside of the shoulder, I placed the elastic down on my fabric, and as I sewed I pulled the elastic taut. I used a zigzag stitch that was slightly smaller than the width of the elastic when it is stretched.

    Make sure to use an elastic that feels comfortable against your skin!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete